Every year on the 14th of February, people around the world exchange gifts, cards, flowers and chocolates with their special someone.
The month of February has been known as the month of romance for a very long time. Over 150 million Valentine’s Day cards are exchanged annually, making Valentine’s Day the second most popular card sending holiday after Christmas.
Valentine’s Day is celebrated in many countries around the world, including the U.K, United States, Canada, Mexico, France and Australia.
The origins of Valentine’s Day is a bit of a mystery. But one of the stories behind it is that an imprisoned Valentine actually sent the first “Valentine” greeting himself after he fell in love with a young woman – possibly his jailor’s daughter – who visited him during his confinement. Before his death, it is alleged that he wrote her a letter signed, “from your Valentine” an expression still used today.
Valentine’s Day Date Ideas
- Have an at home ice cream bar with a movie
- Build a fort and watch movies
- Have a candle lit dinner
- Have a spa night
- Play some old Nintendo/PlayStation games
- Valentine themed breakfast in bed
- Be tourists for the day somewhere near you
- Go for a nature walk and have a picnic
- Do something on your bucket list
- Take a mystery trip
- Have a hotel weekend splurge
- Go stargazing
- Write a letter to each other
- Go on a road trip somewhere new
- Have a game night
- Take a bubble bath together
- Bake together
- Binge watch a TV show in a cozy fort/bed
- Create a scavenger hunt for each other
- Go dancing
Remember that it’s not about money or the extent of what you do for each other. The thing about Valentine’s Day is spending it with the one you love and showing that you love them. So I hope you find this list helpful and different than the usual going out for dinner and facing the Valentine’s Day crowds in restaurants.
Happy Valentine’s Day!! xx