This time of year, there is nothing better than coming in from a rainy, cold, winter day and having a hot delicious bowl of soup. Maybe it’s just me, but I think it’s just something about this time of year, that a bowl of soup just tastes that much better.
This is my favourite go to soup recipe, I like a bit of heat and spice to my soup, but you can always adjust it to suit your own taste. There’s also just something “homey” and comforting about this soup. It warms you from the inside out. Also I love the idea of using seasonal vegetables.
Spicy Roasted Root Vegetable Soup
- 5 carrots, chopped
- 4 parsnips, chopped
- 2 sweet potatoes, chopped
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp honey
- Coconut oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 chilli’s, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 vegetable stock cubes
- 3 pints of boiling water
- 1 tsp dried ginger
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- Black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200oC/180 fan/Gas 6. Peel and chop the carrots, parsnips and sweet potato. Place them in an oven proof tray, sprinkle the cumin over and some honey. Drizzle over some coconut oil and place in the oven for around 30 minutes.
- Wash and dice the onion and chilli, then place them in a pan with a drizzle of coconut oil.
- Add the garlic to the pan and cook until the onions start to go clear.
- Remove the root vegetables from the oven and add to the pan with the bay leaves.
- Make up the vegetable stock with 3 pints of water and pour into the pan to cover the contents. Add the dried ginger, chilli powder and black pepper. Bring to the boil, and leave to simmer for 20-30 minutes, until the contents are soft.
- Remove from the heat and cool slightly before removing the bay leaves.
- Blend the contents and add extra spice and seasoning to taste. Adjust the consistency to suit your own liking if necessary.